Inverawe Salmon Smörgåstårtor
1 medium unsliced wholemeal loaf
1 side cold smoked Inverawe Salmon
4tbsps half fat crème fraiche
A squeeze of lemon juice to taste
A bunch of parsley or dill
3 hard-boiled free range eggs with 1tbsp mayonnaise
1 med jar mayonnaise
Freshly milled black pepper
Lemon & boiled quail’s eggs to garnish
• Cut slices of bread and cut into small rounds. Allow 3 per person.
• Salmon paté – finely dice 100g of fillet along with crème fraiche, lemon juice and a twist of pepper to taste. Mash well with a fork or blender. Place in fridge to chill.
• Bind together chopped hard-boiled eggs with mayo. Season to taste with black pepper and chill in fridge.
• Place 6 rounds of bread on chopping board. Spread with salmon paté. Place on next ‘round’ and spread with egg mayonnaise. Top with bread.
• Coat sides of ‘cakes’ in a thin even layer of mayonnaise. Decorate sides with sliced salmon or chopped herbs.
• Decorate tops with piped salmon pate and mayonnaise.
• Finish with folds of cold smoked salmon, quail’s eggs and dill.
• Chill until serving.
Makes 6 buffet portions.
Rowan Glazed Border Lamb Racks
225g John Brash’s lamb rack (3-4) chops pp
Supernature Rapeseed Oil to seal
A knob of butter
Isle of Skye Sea Salt
Freshly milled black pepper
Sprigs of rosemary
• Pre heat oven 200 C.
• Heat oil and butter in frying pan and seal all sides of racks until a good roasted colour, seasoning as you go.
• Transfer to a foil lined tray and oven roast for 10-12 minutes for a medium cooking.
• Remove from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 8 minutes. Meanwhile deglaze the juices in the pan with a swirl of water and a tablespoon of rowan jelly. Taste to adjust seasoning.
• Carve, glaze in pan juices and serve with a glaze of jus.
Honeyed Sausage Puffs
200g John Brash’s savoury minced lamb
A drizzle of Blossom honey
2 finely diced dried apricots
1 pkt puff pastry
Beaten egg to glaze
• Pre heat oven 220 C.
• Roll out puff pastry and cut half into dainty rounds.
• Mix all filling ingredients together.
• Line lightly oiled patty tins with pastry rounds and brush with beaten egg.
• Place a teaspoonful in each.
• Roll out remaining pastry, prepare a lattice then cut into rounds. Place on top of fillings. Glaze with egg.
• Bake for 10minutes until pastry golden and filling cooked.
Creamed Dauphinoise potatoes are boiled and baked in seasoned cream at 180 C. a large dish will take approx 40 minutes until bubbling and golden.
Benromach Almond Cake with Castle of Mey Apples
75g ground almonds/ crushed ginger nut biscuits for a nut free option
40g plain flour
150g caster sugar
3 free range eggs
Very light pinch of salt
Grated rind of 1 lemon
2 apples, quartered, cored & sliced
2tblsps Benromach Speyside Single Malt
2tbsps. heather honey
• Pre-heat oven to 180 C (Gas no.4). Grease and line a 7"sandwich tin (or mini tins)
• Cream butter and sugar.
• Beat in the eggs.
• Add ground almonds/biscuits and lemon. Continue to beat for a minute before folding in the flour.
• Pour into tin and bake for 30mins until golden and set.
• Dust with caster sugar.
• Meanwhile lightly cook apple segments with the water and lemon juice until softened Add remaining ingredients and warm through. Spoon apples over cake.
• Serve warm or cold with half fat crème fraiche or cream.
Vegetables, breads and dairy kindly donated by Henderson’s of Edinburgh