A brace of local pheasants
Olive oil for brushing
Freshly milled pepper with a light pinch of salt
100g unsmoked Ramsay streaky rashers
2 glasses country bramble wine
1 cinnamon stick
50g soft brown sugar
4 firm pears, peeled (stalk left on)
1 pkt hand cut game chips
1 bunch watercress
• Preheat oven 200 C and line a roasting tin with foil.
• Brush pheasants lightly with oil, season and lay rashers of bacon over breastbone of each to prevent meat from drying out.
• Roast pheasants in preheated oven for 20 mins then reduce oven temp to 180 C.
• Cover loosely with foil and cook for a further 30mins/according to taste.
• Remove from oven and allow to rest in warm place.
• Meanwhile, place red wine, cinnamon stick (broken in 2), juice from half the orange and the brown sugar in a large pan. Warm through to dissolve sugar.
• Add pears with sufficient water to cover and poach for 10mins, taking care not to overcook and lose their shape.
• Drain pears and slice finely keeping stalk intact. Press gently and slices will fan out.
• Serve pheasants on a platter with pears and garnish with game chips. Sliced remaining orange and add watercress.