450g round steak
Flour for dusting
Freshly milled pepper
Pinch of salt
250g puff pastry (1 med pkt. good quality bought variety)
15mls sunflower oil
100g seasonal mushrooms - optional
• Cut steak into cubes and toss in seasoned flour.
• Brown steak in a hot frying pan with a drizzle of sunflower oil. add mushrooms and saute.
• Lift from pan and place in a 1 lb pie dish.
• Add approx 250mls water to the pan to deglaze, releasing any residues from the base of the pan with a wooden spoon.
• Add these juices to the pie dish, cover with tin foil and cook in pre-heated oven for 1.5 hours at 150 C.
• Allow to cool for before adding pastry. (Placing pastry over steaming hot steak affects the finished result). If being consumed soon, allow to cool for 30mins then continue. If being eaten later that day, transfer to fridge after 30mins rather than leaving out in a warm kitchen. When ready to use, remove from fridge and allow it to return to room temperature or cooking time may need increased.
• Roll out pastry and moisten edges of pie dish with egg wash. Insert funnel in middle of meat to allow steam to escape and cover with puff pastry, slashing a vent for the funnel.
• Flute edges and egg wash the pastry.
• Cook for 20-25 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 220 C until pastry golden and meat fully reheated.
Serves 4, delicious with mashed potatoes and seasonal greens.