Plain flour for dusting
100g vegetable suet
250g SR flour, sieved
1tsp baking powder
75g caster sugar
450g currants & sultanas, mixed
1tsp each of ground cinnamon & ginger
1 firm green apple, grated
3 large eggs, beaten
Approx 150mls milk
Caster sugar to dust
- Scald a linen tea towel with boiling water, lay it on a surface & sprinkle liberally with flour.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl & combine.
- Stir in apple, eggs, & enough milk to mix to a dropping consistency.
- Pile the mixture in the centre of the prepared tea towel & gather up the edges, tie into a bundle, allowing enough room for the mixture to expand.
- Place an inverted plate inside the bottom of a large pan & place the dumpling on this. Add sufficient boiling water to come about three quarters of the way up the dumpling.
- Simmer gently for 3 1/2 – 4 hrs, topping up water as necessary.
To turn out, heat an ovenproof plate. Remove dumpling from pan& untie. Turn out onto warm plate & place in a cool oven (130 C/Gas 1-2) for a few mins to dry off..
- Dust with caster sugar & serve with whipped cream